Eatontown Borough | 47 Broad Street Eatontown, NJ 07724 | (732) 389-7600

No Sidebar



How can I get a notice posted on the Borough’s Facebook?

How can I get a notice posted on the Borough's Facebook page?

If you are an Eatontown resident or a member of an Eatontown based community group or organization, you can have your event or news promoted on our Facebook page by sending an e-mail to Ashley Yates or by calling 732-389-7607.

How can I sponsor the Borough Calendar?

How can I sponsor the Borough Calendar?

The Borough Calendar is a not-for-profit project put together by the Administrator's Office for all of the residents of Eatontown. The project is entirely funded through the sale of commercial sponsorships. If you are interested in sponsoring the Borough Calendar, call Janaea Morgan at 732-389-7621 or email her at for more information.

Sponsorships are available in any quantity from the entire calendar to 1-month sponsorships but are sold on a first come first served basis. The calendar lists all of the information that someone would need to know about Borough operations including: meeting and event dates, departmental contact information, garbage/recycling pick-up and much more. Our deadline for accepting new material for the next year's calendar is October 31st. Don't miss this opportunity to have your information placed in the hands of every Borough resident!

Building Dept

Who is responsible for obtaining the permit me or my contractor?

Who is responsible for obtaining the permit me or my contractor?

You, as the property owner, are responsible for all things related to your property. Some contractors will, as a service, secure the permit for you. But you must ensure that the contractor does this prior to performing any work. Doing work without a permit is subject to penalties of up to $2000.00.

Do you accept cash as payment?

Yes we accept credit cards, exact cash, checks or money orders made payable to the Borough of Eatontown.

What forms do I need for my permit?

What forms do I need for my permit?

The proper technical  form (building, electric, plumbing or fire), Two (2) complete set of plans, a copy of your survey (in some instances) and a folder will need to be filled out when you drop off your permit paperwork.

Other forms, depending on the type of work, may be required

What are the permit fees for when I already pay my taxes?

As required by state law, the Construction Inspection Department shall be self-sufficient. When State legislators enacted the Uniform Construction Code in 1977, they felt that they wanted only those who use the process to pay for the process and not to further burden the taxpayers who don't ever need to use the process.

Do I need an architects plans?

Not always, some small projects where you are doing the work on your own in a home which is your primary residence, such as a deck, can be drawn by yourself. However, the drawings must be detailed.

Can I do my own work?

For most work, yes. In the house you live in and own, you may perform your own work in all four trades (building, electric, plumbing, fire). You must personally perform the work (not a brother, friend, etc.) Falsification of legal documents subjects you to penalties up to $2000. Underground oil storage tank removal/abandonments must be licensed by NJDEP

Do I need my permit number when calling for an inspection request?

Yes our database requires a permit number to access your file.

Can I schedule a specific time for an inspection?

Unfortunately no. We will usually inspect Building & Fire between the hours of 10 am and 3 pm.

Please call for the hours of the Electrical & Plumbing inspectors.

There is no feasible way to narrow down a specific time.

Do I need a permit to replace my water heater?

Yes, a permit is required to replace your water heater or furnace/boiler. These appliances are probably the most dangerous things in your home.

Does my contractor need a license/registration to work on my house?

Yes. Effective January 1, 2006 all home improvement contractors must be registered with the NJ Division of Consumer Affairs. They will have to produce a registration card from the State before any permits can be issued. This is, of course, a benefit to the homeowners. For more information call Consumer Affairs at: 1-888-656-6225. Electrical and Plumbing contractors must be licensed by the State of NJ. They do not have to be registered if they have a license from the appropriate licensing Board.

Where do I apply for a Permit?

An application for a permit is available from the Construction Department located on the second floor of the Municipal Building 47 Broad Street Eatontown, NJ
Hours of operation are from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday

Along with the completed application, two copies of the construction plans must be submitted

For additional information regarding your permit process, you may contact the Construction Department at 732-389-7615 or the Zoning Department at 732-389-7617.

When is a Permit required?

For Work Such As:

  • Construction of a deck or pool
  • Addition to a private residence or commercial building
  • Construction of a shed, garage, fence
  • Install siding or roofing
  • Change plumbing system or fixtures
  • Install a water heater, furnace or fireplace
  • Install electrical receptacles, outlets, equipment
  • Repair or replace any structural item, i.e. change the size of a window
  • Replace a driveway

Please note that this list is not all inclusive. Please call the Building or Zoning Department with any questions.

You do NOT need a permit to:

  • Replace gutters
  • Paint or trim work
  • Replace a door or window with the same size door or window

Why are Permits needed?

They are required by State law and local ordinances to protect public health, safety, and welfare.

What is a Permit?

A construction permit represents legal permission to begin a construction project. The issuance of a permit indicates plans and other documents for a project have been approved by the construction and zoning official.


How do I report an Odor Complaint

To report a complaint of an odor from the Monmouth County Reclamation Center, please call 732-922-2666

How do I obtain a Certified Copy for a birth, marriage or death?

Vital Documents include records of birth, marriage, civil union, domestic partnership and death. To obtain a certified copy of any document you will need to fill out the request form for the municipality (town) where the event took place.

To request a certified copy of a vital document for an event that took place in Eatontown, please complete and mail in the application form. Also, include a copy of a photo id with address, a self addressed stamped envelope, and a check or money order for $20.00. 

How do I file an OPRA request form?

The Municipal Clerk receives all requests under the Open Public Records Act (OPRA). OPRA applies to requests for records, not requests for isolated facts.

In order to be considered a valid request under OPRA, the request must identify the specific record(s) desired and the request must be submitted to the records custodian of the public agency that maintains the record.

A New Jersey Appeals Court recently ruled that those requesting records do not need to use the agency's records request form but any request must include all required information. A printable copy of the OPRA request form is available in the Forms section under Clerk/Registrar and can be mailed, e-mailed or faxed to the Clerk's Office.

OPRA requests are addressed within seven business days unless extended with consent of the requestor.

How do I apply for a Marriage License?

You may review this information which explains the marriage license application process and lists the required documents you will need to present.

Please call the Registrar at 732-389-7601 to set up an appointment. Registrar Hours are Monday-Friday between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. You may download and complete your marriage application prior to your appointment (only complete the first two pages - please, do not sign the application until you are at your appointment). For more information visit the State of New Jersey Office of Vital Statistics or contact the Registrar's Office at 732-389-7601 or e-mail Thank you and best wishes.  

How do I obtain a raffle license?

To obtain a raffle license, the member in charge must provide proof of a background check. Information can be found in the application. Please submit four notorized copies of the application form for raffle license / or bingo licenses, making sure to allow for at least twenty (20) days to lapse between submitting the application and the date the raffle begins. 

The most up to date information can be found at  New Jersey Legalized Games of Chance Control Commission who oversee all Legalized Games of Chance, including information regarding feesapplication amendments and filing raffle operations reports

How can I help protect our water?

Read about Pet Waste Pollutants and how you can help protect our water.
You may also visit New Jersey Storm Water or the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

How do I get a passport?

New Application for a U.S. Passport

To obtain a passport for the first time, you need to go in person to one of over 9,000 passport acceptance facilities located throughout the United States with two photographs of yourself, proof of U.S. citizenship, and a valid form of photo identification such as a driver's license.

Acceptance facilities include many Federal, state and probate courts, post offices, some public libraries and a number of county and municipal offices. There are also 13 regional passport agencies, and 1 Gateway City Agency, which serve customers who are traveling within 2 weeks (14 days), or who need foreign visas for travel. Appointments are required in such cases.

You'll need to apply in person if you are applying for a U.S. passport for the first time: if your expired U.S. passport is not in your possession; if your previous U.S. passport has expired and was issued more than 15 years ago; if your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under age 16; or if your currently valid U.S. passport has been lost or stolen.

For more information on getting a new passport, please visit How to get a passport page.

Renewal of a U.S. Passport

You can renew by mail if: Your most recent passport is available to submit and it is not damaged; you received the passport within the past 15 years; you were over age 16 when it was issued; you still have the same name, or can legally document your name change.

You can get a passport renewal application form by downloading it from this site.

If your passport has been, altered or damaged, you cannot apply by mail. You must apply in person.

For more information on how to renew a passport, please visit How to renew a passport page.

How do I register to Vote?

Visit Monmouth County Votes for the most up to date information and to obtain the registration form.

How do I apply for a Dog License?

Please download and complete the dog license application. All dog licenses must be renewed by January 31st of each year. Your dogs rabies vaccination must be valid through October 31 of the licensing year unless an exemption form is submitted with application.
Please contact the Clerk's Office with any questions.

Community Center

When can I start signing up for Before/Aftercare?

Registrations will be accepted being July 1st for the September to June school year. Registration is then ongoing throughout the school year. However, spots in our program are on a first come, first serve basis. When a maximum capacity is reached (based on student-to-staff state followed regulations), a waiting list will begin. More information as well as forms can be found here.

How do I find out more information about the preschool program?

To find out information about our preschool you can call 732-389-7647 or stop in at 68 Broad Street (appointment is needed for a tour). You can also find general information, as well as our forms here.

How can I sign up for the Adult Center at 72 Broad Street?

For information or registration for any of the adult programs, you can contact Betsy Hopler at 732-389-7666.


Who should I contact about having a tree pruned or removed, if the tree is within the Borough Right of Way?

You may call DPW 732-389-7651 which will put you in contact with the Shade Tree Commission.

Can I have my garbage container replaced if it is damaged?

Yes call the DPW Office at 732-389-7651 to make arrangements.  Garbage containers will only be replaced if they cannot be repaired.

My garbage can/recycling bin did not get picked up. Who do I call?

Call the DPW Office at 732-389-7651.  You must put your garbage can/recycling bin at the curb the night before by 6 a.m. on your designated pick up day.

What are the holidays that garbage is not picked up?

Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Years Day. If your pickup date, falls on one of these holidays. Your Garbage will be picked up on your next scheduled day.

How do I dispose of household hazardous waste?

The operations of the Monmouth County Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Facility is contracted out to Radiac Environmental services. The hours of operation for household hazardous waste drop off at the facility will be as follows:

  • Tuesday and Wednesday from 12pm to 4pm
  • Thursdays and Fridays from 12pm to 8pm
  • Saturdays from 8am to 4pm.

Click here for more information

Housing Department

Tenant-Landlord Complaints?

Residents may contact the Housing Office and follow the appropriate procedures for filing a complaint.

When will the Certificate be issued?

A certificate will be issued when all required conditions have been met.

What is the procedure for obtaining a Certificate?

Obtain and complete an application (building Department, on-line).

Read checklist provided and prepare dwelling for inspection.
Contact the housing office at 732-389-7616 for an appointment.

Bring application and fee to inspection site.

When is a Certificate required?

Certificates of Occupancy for rentals are required prior to a tenant moving in.

Certificates of Continued Use for sales must be preformed prior to the new owners taking possession of that property.

A new certificate is required for any change of occupant/owner.

What is a Certificate of Occupancy/Certificate of Continued Use?

A Certificate of Occupancy/Certificate of Continued Use requires an inspection of a dwelling and the property it sits upon to make sure it meets the requirements for the health, safety and welfare of the occupants of that dwelling.

A Certificate of Occupancy is issued for all residential rentals (apartments, houses, mobile homes, condos, co-ops, rooms) and a Certificate of Continued Use is issued for all residential sales (mobile homes, homes, condos and co-ops).


What is the policy for book donations to the Library?

The library will happily accept gently used donations for our bi-annual book sale (Feb and July) with the following exceptions: No textbooks or encyclopedias. Please call the library for information 732-389-2665.

What are the operational hours/days for the library?

The library hours are:

  • MWF 10am-5pm
  • MW 7-9pm
  • T-Th 2-5pm*
  • Saturday 10am-1pm
  • *Summer Hours:
  • July /August: T-Th 10am-1pm

Planning / Zoning

Where can I see the agendas for the upcoming Board meetings?

Agendas are posted on the borough web site and are available at least 48 hours in advance of the meeting.

Click For Planning
Click For Zoning

Where are Board meetings held?

In the Council room on the second floor of Borough Hall at 47 Broad Street.

When are the Board meetings typically held?

The Planning Board meets on the first and third Monday @ 7:30 P.M.. The Zoning Board meets on the second Monday @ 7:30 p.m.  Special meetings  on an alternate date would be at the discretion of the Board and would be noticed and the agenda would be on the Borough web site.



Is there a copy of the zoning ordinance available for review on line?

The entire ordinance, which is updated biannually, is available on the Borough web site under Ecode.

How can I find out the setbacks for my lot?

Please contact the Zoning Office for setback information.  Setback determinations can be influenced by easements, setbacks, corner lots and prior conditions imposed by a Board.

How can I find out the Zone my property is located in?

Call our office and we will advise you of the zone in which your property is located.

If I have several projects I wish to do, do I have to apply separately?

If you have several projects you wish to apply for, you may combine them all in one permit for one fee if you will be completing them all within a 12 month period.

What is the fee for a zoning permit?

The basic zoning permit fee is $50.00.  This fee would be in addition to any Construction Permit fees.

Can I start work before the permit is approved?

Work cannot be started until the permit is issued.  In some instances variances may be required and a Board approval would be necessary to proceed.

What if I cannot find a copy of my survey?

If you can't locate your survey, call our office as we may have it on file in the zoning files.  If not, you can contact the original surveyor listed on your deed or the attorney who handled  the closing when you bought the property.

What do I need to bring in for zoning review to do work on my property?

A completed zoning permit application, a copy of the survey with an indication of where the work is going to be done and the setbacks to the property line. An application fee is also required.

When is a Zoning permit required?

Zoning Permits are required for new dwellings, additions, sheds, decks, fences, patios, driveways, pools and many other types of structures.  Please contact our office during your planning process so we can advise you of what permits are required.

Is zoning approval required prior to applying for a construction permit?

Both permits may be applied for at the same time, however, the construction permit cannot be issued until the zoning is approved.


What do I need for an Additional Handgun Purchase Permit


INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLICANTS ( Initial Firearm Identification Card, Duplicate/Change of Address and all E-Permits)


  1. Log on to:


  1. Enter the ORI # for the Eatontown Police Department: NJ0131100


  1. Complete the online application (Firearm Change of Address, Initial Firearm Identification Card and/or E-Permits)


A few things to remember…

 Payment is not required until your application has been processed.

The final step in the application process will be an email prompting you to pay online. $5 fee for your initial Firearm Identification Card and $2 per permit.

E-Permits are issued in real time.  Once you receive the “approval” email through the FARS system, your permit is “active” and can be utilized immediately at your local gun shop.  Permits that are not executed within 90 days are automatically renewed. Applicants must reapply if the permit is not executed within 180 days.

Following your final approval email, please contact the Firearms Division to make an appointment to pick up your Firearm Identification card.

Fingerprinting is performed under contract with IdentoGo by MorphoTrust via the State Police Firearm Registration Application Portal


Please email Firearm related questions or concerns to or call 732-389-1776.


Where can I find information about sports/programs that are currently being offered?

You can always call the office at 732-389-7607 or check out our Recreation website under Youth Programs (left side menu bar) for current and ongoing registrations.

How do I register for a program?

You can register for a program by either going on Capturepoint (directions can be found here), coming into the office, or downloading a registration form from our program menu on our Recreation website and mailing it in to 47 Broad St, Eatontown NJ 07724. Please note that registration is not complete until PAYMENT or payment arrangements are made. Payment can be made online through Municipay, cash, check, or money order. Please note that you must register through Capturepoint before paying on Municipay.