Eatontown Bureau of Fire Prevention
Our hours of operation are 8:30AM to 4:30PM Monday through Friday. Our phone number is 732-389-7620. Our fax number is 732-389-7670. Our e-mail address is FP@EatontownNJ.com.
The Eatontown Fire Prevention Bureau is: Rudy Trask, Fire Marshall; Vito Marra and Jeff Myskowski, Fire Inspectors; and Kathi Cipriano, Administrative Assistant.
The Fire Prevention Bureau is charged with inspecting all commercial properties in the Borough of Eatontown on an annual basis. In a situation where a violation occurs, business owners are given from 24 hours to 30 days to correct the problem depending on the severity of the situation.
The Fire Prevention Bureau serves the need of the community through programs designed to prepare children of what to do in case of a fire. These programs are available free of charge to Borough schools and daycare centers on an appointment basis. Programs are a fun way to educate young residents. We offer:
- 911 dialing instructions
- Dress and interact with the Firefighter
- Sit in a real fire truck
- Stop, drop and roll
- Questions and answer period.
At the present time, the Fire Prevention Bureau has smoke detectors available to residents who need one but can not afford one due to their financial situation. If you would like one, please contact the Fire Prevention Bureau for more details.
If you are looking to access a permit application, please click the menu to the left under "Home" and then "Download forms".
PLEASE SEE THE ATTACHMENT ABOUT GENERATOR SAFETY.
**GENERAL SAFETY TIPS**
- Install a working smoke alarm on every level of the home, outside sleeping areas, and inside bedrooms.
- Replace smoke alarm batteries twice a year. We suggest replacing them when it's time to "spring ahead" or "fall back" the clocks for Daylight Savings Time in the fall and spring.
- Replace smoke alarms that are more than 10 years old. Smoke alarms don't last forever.
- Develop and practice a fire escape plan, because working smoke alarms and a fire escape plan will increase your protection in case of a fire.
- Always keep an eye on food being heated. Unattended cooking causes the majority of fires in the kitchen.
- Keep children away from appliances when cooking. Have a "kid-free zone" around the stove and teach youngsters not to play in that area.
- Turn handles inward so pots and pans won't be pulled or knocked off the stove.
- Have a professional technician inspect your heating, cooling, and water appliances annually.
- Have the fireplace chimney checked and cleaned routinely by a chimney "sweep" at least once a year.
- Do not leave a portable heater operating unattended or operating while sleeping. Portable electric air heaters are designed for use only as temporary supplemental heating and only while attended.
- Do not use any electrical cord that is stiff or cracked. The insulation on electrical cords can become damaged by wear, flexing, or age.
- Inspect electrical cords for frayed wires, which can cause fires. Replace all worn, old or damaged cords immediately.
- Keep combustibles away from light bulbs. Light bulbs, especially halogen types, get very hot and can ignite combustible materials that get too close.
- Never place clothing or towels on top of a lampshade. Do not use table lamps without a shade where they might fall over onto a bed or sofa.
- Use the correct wattage bulb for the fixture. Most light fixtures are labeled to show the type of and highest wattage bulb that can be safely used in that fixture; too high a wattage bulb can cause the fixture to overheat and start a fire.
- Keep matches and lighters out of the reach of young children.
- Exercise caution when using candles. Do not leave candles unattended or lit while sleeping.
- Candles should be kept away from combustibles. Extinguish candles when you leave the room. If power is out, consider using flashlights instead.
- Never smoke in bed and extinguish tobacco products when tired.